F1 Visa

Learn about the process of getting an F1 Visa when you attend Chi University as an international student

Process for Degree-seeking Students attending Chi University on F-1 Student Visa

The below information provides a basic understanding of the F-1 Student process:

Once the application for admissions is approved, the student will be provided with an official admissions letter and will be contacted via email with detailed explanation about what is needed for the I-20.

The initial email will direct the student to complete the “Request for I-20 - Certificate of Eligibility for nonimmigrant Student Status” form. Once the form is submitted Chi University will process the I-20.

Once ready, the completed I-20 will be mailed to the student by express shipping. Students are responsible for all applicable shipping fees and will receive a tracking number once the I-20 is shipped.

Once the student has obtained the I-20 and admissions letter, the student must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee and schedule the appointment with a US consulate or Embassy for the student Visa Application.

Obtain Visa and make Travel arrangements

Arrive in the US no more than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the I-20.

Check-in with the Primary Designated School Official within 30 days of arrival to the U.S. Students are required to provide the following documentation at check-in:

  • Copy of I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt
  • Copy of Visa
  • Passport with Port of Entry Stamp
  • I-94 showing your current date of entry
  • Local US physical address
  • Chi University Primary Designated School Official Contact Info

    Guojun (Alex) He, Registrar


    1-800-860-1543 | 1-352-591-5385

    Direct Extension: 110


The F-1 student visa may only be obtained by filing an application in person with a U.S. Embassy Consulate in the Country where you hold permanent residence. To prepare for your visa interview, you should gather documentary evidence such as:

  1. Passport
  2. Visa Application
  3. Proof of payment of all applicable fees, such as the I-901 fee and any other applicable visa application fees
  4. Color Photo
  5. I-20 “Certificate of Eligibility for nonimmigrant Student Status”

Additional Documentation that may be required:

  1. Academic preparations, such as transcripts, diplomas, or degrees earned from schools you attended
  2. Proof of Financial ability to support your studies and living expenses (original documentation, not photocopies), such as bank statements, scholarship award letter, etc.
  3. Proof of language proficiency to undertake the proposed program of study, such as TOEFL scores
  4. Proof you fully intend to return to your home country after completion of your studies such as; If your family owns property, take the deed. If you have taken a leave from a job or have the prospect of a job offer, obtain a letter from the company stating that your job will be held until you return or that people with the education that you are seeking are in demand in your country.

You may enter the United States up to 30 days before your official program start date listed on your Form I-20. When you arrive at the U.S. port of entry, you will meet a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer who has the authority to admit or deny your entrance into the country. You must present the CBP officer with your Form I-20, as well as your valid visa and passport. It is also a good idea to have your acceptance letter, your evidence of financial support, and the name and telephone number of your DSO. Be sure to keep these documents and information in your carry-on luggage, as you will not be able to access any of your checked baggage until after you pass through the U.S. port of entry.

If CBP admits you into the country, they will give you an admission stamp in your passport and issue an electronic Form I-94, “Arrival and Departure Record.” The Form I-94 includes information about when you were admitted, what status you must maintain (F-1) and how long you can stay in the United States.

Foreign students in the United States with F visas must depart the United States within 60 days after the program end date listed on Form I-20, including any authorized practical training. Foreign students may request an extension through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website, https://www.uscis.gov/visit-the-united-states/extend-your-stay

Answer: Yes, Chi University requires on-site F1 students to provide proof of health insurance and proof of immunization as follows:

1. Two MMR vaccines or a positive titer showing immunity

2. One Hepatitis B vaccine, a positive titer showing immunity, or a signed waiver declining the vaccine

3. One Meningitis MCV4 vaccine or a signed waiver declining the vaccine

4. TD and/or TDAP within the last 10 years.

5. Rabies requirement

6. Tuberculosis screening

Resources for F-1 Students

The below information contains some optional resources for F-1 students. Chi University is not responsible for the content of external websites. Students are responsible for conducting their own due diligence.

Social Security Number Application

F-1 students who receive scholarship will have to apply for the SSN within first 2 weeks of the first semester (see below).

F-1 students who do not receive scholarship must have a job offer and an employment authorization before they are eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). You cannot apply for a SSN without a job and/or employment authorization. Students can apply to available on-campus jobs. The two main categories of work authorization for F-1 students are:

  1. On-campus employment (eligible immediately if available)
  2. Off-campus work authorization through Optional Practical Training (eligible after you receive MS degree from Chi University).

US Tax implications of F1 students who receive a full scholarship

Assistance in the form of housing stipend and living expenses is taxable income in the US. Wages paid to a student for work performed are also taxable in the US. Scholarships that cover the cost of tuition and books in whole or in part are not taxable in the US as long as the student is seeking a degree. If however the student is not seeking a degree, then the scholarship is likewise taxable in the US.

Please note the following information:

  1. F1 students who receive full scholarship should apply for a SSN support letter with the Chi DSO within 2 weeks of their 1 st semester starts. The students should apply for the SSN as soon as the SSN support letter is issued. Scholarship in the form of housing stipend and living expenses will NOT be issued until the students receive their SSN.
  2. Withholding of income at a rate of 14% mandated on all amounts paid to the student for monthly stipend or for wages. Withholding is likewise required for NONDEGREE students who receive a scholarship.
  3. Chi University will issue Form 1098-T and Form 1042-S to the student by February of the following year.
  4. Students will be required to prepare and file their own form 1040-NR income tax return for nonresidents by April 15th of that following year.

A list of documents to bring to the SSA office

The Social security office is located at 4562 NW 13th St, Gainesville, FL 32609. You will need to bring the following documents with you:

  1. Completed SSN Application Form online https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/.
  2. Valid Form I-20
  3. Valid Passport
  4. F-1 VISA (found in passport).
  5. Printout of current I-94 electronic record
  6. For those with on-campus employment, you will also take the above-mentioned employer letter and the SSN support letter from the Chi DSO.